Friday Five – FDIC Five
April 13, 2012 § Leave a comment
So, given that FDIC is only three days away, and I leave next Tuesday (only five days from now) to participate, today’s post is dedicated to five things I hope to do/see/participate in during this year’s FDIC.
Top Five “To-Dos” For FDIC
1. Teach My Class – This may seem like a simple concept, since that’s really why I’m going, but man do i look forward to teaching. I always come away from my classes feeling like I’ve met some great people, taken away some great ideas, and firmed up why I love doing what i do. The opportunity to teach to a national/international audience is a truly humbling experience and I love doing it each and every time. If you are attending FDIC, my class is Thursday from 1:15-3:30 in Lucas Oil Stadium Room 10-12
2. Take AMAZING classes – This conference is an amazing opportunity to take classes from nationally recognized names and from those people who are working their way to that status. It’s an opportunity to hear about programs and initiatives across the country that I might not have been exposed to. Fire Engineering has done a great job of finding a great mix of Emergency Management, Fire, and EMS training opportunities.
3. Promote my Book – I don’t often like promoting myself, but Fire Engineering has given me a great opportunity two have two book signings during the conference. I will be available on Thursday from 11-12 and Friday from 1-2 to sign copies of my books. If you already have a copy, bring it! If you miss me at the Fire Engineering booth, stop me in the hallway and I’ll be happy to sign the book!
4. Participate in some great events – This year I’m actually participating in the Courage and Valor 5k. It’s a great opportunity to promote health, recognize a great Fire Service Leader, and hang out with great people. My goal is to finish the event with a time that beats my split time from the 10K I just participated in, but other than that I look forward to running with some great people and being motivated to keep maintaining my health. Along with that event, I plan on attending the F.O.O.L.S. event on Wednesday night and watching the 9-11 memorial stair climb at Lucas Oil Stadium.
5. Enjoying time with some amazing people. Not just the ones I’ll be traveling with, though, but I also look forward to interacting with my fellow Fire and EMS service members, with the amazing employees of Fire Engineering who organize a great conference, meeting some new vendors, interacting with the people of Indianapolis, and truly just enjoying my time surrounded by a great city, wonderful people, and amazing opportunities.
This list may look corny, but this conference is truly a great event and I look forward to it each year! If you haven’t been, you should definitely plan on attending next year. The opportunities for learning and interaction are truly too many to number!
Are you going to FDIC? If so, what are you looking forward to?
Until next time…stay safe and don’t forget to follow on twitter (@stickysidedwn)